Monday, November 21, 2011

Mommy why are you having surgery?

I started my Pre-op diet on Friday, so this is day 4...wow this SUCKS!!! But i just keep chanting in my mind "It is so worth it, it is so worth it!"

Its hard to know what to eat and what not to eat. Every blog I read, every website, the surgeons all require something different. Mine states this

"Start with proper protein sources (no less than 20 grams of protein per serving with 6 total grams of carbohydrates or less and 6 grams of saturated fats or less per serving), keep a close eye on the fat intake (don’t over do it).  Some choices are lean chicken, turkey, fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, sugar free jell-o, pudding, beans.  Please include fresh fruit at least 2 times a day.

Those that choose to use a protein shake, please read the labels. You should try to choose a protein shake with between 20-30 grams of Protein, less than 6 grams of total Carbohydrates, and less than 6 grams of saturated fat per serving.  Protein shakes are NOT required, but are very convenient. These are just some of the brands that have the correct protein/carb/sat fat ratio:
Iso Pure, Slim Fast LOW CARB,  Designer Whey
 
LIVER-SHRINKING DIET PLAN

1. There are NO CALORIE LIMITATIONS on the LIVER-SHRINKING diet. You may eat/drink as much as you wish of the allowed things to feel satisfied, although we suggest reasonable limits to assist your weight loss.

2. A maximum of 40-50 grams of carbohydrates (carbs) a day.

3. You may have as many high-protein/low carb Protein drinks a day as you wish. No limit!

4. You may add low-carb protein bars up to the max of 40-50 grams of carbs a day. \

5. You may have any type, brand, and quantity of protein drinks and protein bars that you wish, as long as you read the labels carefully so you are getting a MAX of 40-50 grams of NET carbs a day.

6. Count only the NET CARBS that are on the label, not the “total” carbs. Please eat and drink NOTHING that is not clearly labeled as to net carb content. With some products, the “Net Carbs” are called “Impact Carbs” or “Effective Carbs”.

7. You may have as much water, Crystal Light, herbal or regular teas, or coffee as you wish – but please remember, NO sugar, and NO milk/creamer with high carbs. You must count any carbs here in your daily total of 40-50 grams maximum.

8. Your local GNC or other nutrition store will have a variety of drinks and bars to try. We suggest getting one each of several kinds to try before you buy a larger quantity, so you can find some you really like."

But no real suggestions are included with this. So ::sigh:: I am just trying to stay in the lean meats category and under the allotted carbs, I hope this works.

The last three mornings I have made a yummy protein shake, but it does NOT make me anywhere near full or satisfied, however I have found if I wait about 40 minutes or so, the hunger subsides. Here is what I put in it:

One frozen banana
Two scoops chocolate Whey protein
One strawberry no fat, no carb yogurt
Soy Milk
4 ice cubes

I tried it without the ice cubes and i didn't like it as much.

So I am starving, but chipper because I am 5 days away from my surgery...WOW!! Cannot believe it!

So my kids are all asking what my surgery is, they all know I am having surgery, but they don't what for. Being a step-mom is hard and one of the hardest parts is dealing with the ex-wife. For reasons I cannot quite describe, I just don't want her to know I am having the surgery.

Well thats not completely true, I dont want her to know because I dont like her, because I dont want her to know any intimate details of my life. I want my life to be my life and only intertwined with hers when necessary.

I wonder if other bariatric patients have this dilemma, do you tell people you had a weight loss surgery? I mean people will ask how you lost the weight and if you say smaller portions and exercise, then you are not lying, but you are leaving out a pretty major detail.

So Kallie, my 4 year old, says "Mommy why are you have surgery, because you are really sick and are going to die?" This brought me to tears and a little laughter as well. I told her mommy just had to get a small procedure done, that I was not dying and that she would see me next week.

But this comment did make me think....this is surgery after all. Maybe I should prepare something just in case. Maybe write a letter stating my love for my husband and family, stating what I want should things go terribly wrong. That is daunting and sad to me. It takes some of the joy out of this for me, but I think I will do it, because you never know.






1 comment:

  1. Oh, I understand your feelings. I don't have an ex-wife to deal with but I feel the same about extended family. They don't need to know about my struggles. I need support not sympathy! I to have 3 children who are afraid for me also. I even told my husband "just in case" I want you to get remarried but make sure she is good for the kids, he can adapt, they can't!

    ReplyDelete