Thursday, December 1, 2011

This is a NO Coughing or Sneezing Zone!!

I'M HOME!!! I DID IT!!! I HAVE THE BAND!!! Oh wow, I have wanted this for so long, I can't believe its happened, its crazy for me to think I am FINALLY on this side of things. I have looked at thousands of before and after pictures over the years, read countless blogs, all the while thinking "Oh they are so lucky to have had it, to be where they want to be". And here I am, on that side of things, I am unbelievably excited for my life!!
 
I wont lie though, its been a bit of a rough journey thus far. I was TERRIFIED to have the surgery, below is a picture of me the morning of my surgery. My husband took it in the hallway outside our hotel room and I had been crying all morning, could not even summon a smile. But it is my before, so here you go.

Once I arrived at the hospital that morning I learned I was the first surgery of the day. Immediately my nerves set in, I could not stop crying or shaking. The anesthesiologist came in and met me, she was so nice. She said she needed to give me something to calm me down prior to surgery. Below is a picture taken minutes before my surgery and a smile on my face, a clear result of the "calming meds" I received! I'm holding a bear my sweet sister gave me to hug since she couldn't be there with me.


Waking up was difficult I was overcome with nausea, and it was EXTREMELY painful to move in the slightest. But after a night spent walking about every hour and no sleep, I was released to go home Sunday.


I've spent these last 5 days trying to relax and heal. There are so many unfamiliar pains, sounds, stretching and pulling going in my tummy that it is hard to figure out what the heck everything means. The desire to curl into myself instead of walking upright is overwhelming. But I have forced myself to stand up straight, like a good patient!


Day 4 and 5 (today) have been easier. I spent Day 1, 2 & 3 post-op unable to get up on my own, coming to tears when I had a sneeze or cough or someone made me laugh. While sneezing & coughing are still a NIGHTMARE, I can get up and down from my new bed (a recliner in the living room) without the help of anyone. Yesterday I walked my culdesac twice, once in the morning and once in the evening. 


My port site still hurts quite a bit, and I do need to stand up and sit down slowly, but its bearable. I go back to work on Monday and I think I will be ok. I may have a coupe of half days in my future, but I think I am right on track!


Food has been a challenge, broth, jello, frozen sugar free Popsicles....is this in any way supposed to satisfy you?!?!? Today I called the surgeon and got clearance to add protein drinks to my daily diet... THANK GAWD!!! I was ready to eat this recliner!!! Actually in truth I didn't feel hunger until yesterday and that wasn't much but today HOLY BALLS GIVE A BANDER SOME FOOD!!


I have been blessed to have had visitors everyday this week to help me out! My hubby stayed home with me Monday, my BFF and cousin was here Tuesday & Wednesday and my beautimus Sister Katy was here Wednesday and today and my other beautimus sister came over last night.


I think I overdid it quite a bit yesterday, so I promised my husband and sister I would do nothing but relax today! So here I am with my two favorite little animals in the world, my doggy Baby and my puppy Lucy! (momma & daughter).

5 DAYS POST OP....WHOOP WHOOP!
I wanted to thank everyone for the well wishes and messages of encouragements! I am so excited to be on this journey and think its pretty dang cool to have people reading along with me!
So I am not comfortable posting my weight, but I do intend to give my weight LOSS results! I lost 7.5 pounds during the week before in my pre-op diet, and since then I am down an additional 10.5 pounds...YEP 18 pounds down!!
surgery date 11-26-2011
pounds lost 18 

3 comments:

  1. Conrgrats on being banded! :) Rest up and get ready for the ride of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly, I hope you're doing really well today. I'm following your blog and appreciate the insights b/c I'm right behind you with my surgery date approaching in a couple weeks. I just started the pre-op liquid diet today. I'll keep checking in and hope we can be new bandsters together for encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa,
    Your profile and blog are set to private so I could not write to you on there, you should probably fix that so we cant talk!!

    Please feel free to email me at kimberlylynnday@yahoo.com

    I bet you are so excited, only being 6 days post op it would be great to have a fellow bander to talk about things with!

    I know the pre-op diet is hard and will seem so impossible and you will want to cheat, but dont do that. There was a lady having the sleeve and she didnt follow her pre-op diet, she was in a LOT of pain and from what I here is having a very difficult recovery.

    Looking forward to talking to you!

    ReplyDelete